Voter Information

Voter Information

The next general local government election is October 20, 2018. 

General Voting Day: Saturday, October 20, 2018 (8:00 am - 8:00 pm) - Oliver Community Centre

Special Voting: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 (Sunnybank Retirement Centre/South Okanagan General Hospital) [eligible voters only]

Advance Voting Day: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 (8:00 am - 8:00 pm) - Oliver Community Centre, Room 1 & 2

Voter Eligibility

You can vote in the election if you:

  • are a Canadian Citizen
  • are 18 years of age or older on general voting day
  • have lived in British Columbia for at least six months
  • have lived in Oliver for at least thirty days; and
  • are not disqualified by law from voting

All Oliver residents who meet these requirements can vote.  It does not matter whether you rent or own your home.  If you own property in Oliver but live somewhere else in BC, you can also vote in the election.  This is called being a "non-resident property elector", contact

"Landed immigrants" who are not yet Canadian Citizens are not permitted to vote in civic elections.

Corporations are not entitled to vote.

The Town of Oliver does not have a voters list; instead, we use day of voting registration.


To register to vote as a resident elector at the time of voting you will need two pieces of identification documents showing residency and identify, and one must contain a signature.  If you have a combined BC Driver's License and Care Card, it counts as only one piece of identification.

Requirements to Vote for a Water Councillor

The requirements to vote for a Water Councillor, electors must reside in the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen within the areas served by the Town of Oliver Water Works, System 1 through 7.

Register as a Non-Resident Property Elector

At the time of registration as a non-resident property elector you must produce two pieces of identification (at least one piece must have your signature) to prove identify, and proof that you are entitled to register in relation to the property.  If there is more than one owner of the property, written consent from the majority of registered owners that you have been designated to vote accompanied with adequate documentation, such as a Land Title Search or a property tax notice from the Town of Oliver, proving ownership of the property claimed as the basis for the vote.

Non-Resident Property Elector

Non-Resident Consent Form

Requirements to Vote for School Trustee

Requirements to vote for school trustee are the same as those for resident and non-resident property electors, except that the elector must be a resident or the registered owner of real property in School District #53 for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration.

Provincial Guidance & Resources: