Age Friendly Assessment and Action Plan
How age friendly is Oliver? Are folks of all ages included, respected, and able to actively participate in our community? Tell us what’s working well and what could be improved for your chance to win a prize! Click on the link above to fill out our survey, and please share with your friends and family of all ages. (click here)
An age friendly community is one that supports people of all ages in actively participating in their community and where everyone is treated with respect, regardless of their age. It is a place that makes it easier for older people to stay connected and active in their communities [definition adapted from WHO, Towards an Age Friendly World]
Click here to view our community profile.
According to the World Health Organization, eight key features of age friendly communities include:
- Pleasant, clean, secure, and physically accessible outdoor spaces and public buildings.
- Accessible and affordable public transportation.
- Affordable, appropriately located, well built, well designed, and secure housing.
- Opportunities for participation in leisure, social, cultural, and spiritual activities with people of all ages and cultures.
- Respect and civic inclusion of older folks.
- Opportunities for employment and volunteerism that cater to older persons’ interests and abilities.
- Age-friendly communication and information.
- Community support and health services tailored to older persons’ needs.
What’s happening in Oliver?
Over the next nine months, the assessment and action plan will look at age friendly assets, barriers, and opportunities in Oliver. This project will support Oliver in becoming an age-friendly community by enabling existing groups and plans to expand their missions to embody the age friendly principles.
Input from community members and groups will be key to the assessment, so stay tuned for opportunities to get involved!