Welcome to ‘Grow Oliver Business Development Resources’
Whether you are starting a new business, buying an existing business in town or growing your current business we are happy that you have chosen (or are considering) Oliver as your location.
If you are just starting your research to see if Oliver is a good fit for you please check out our Town of Oliver Relocation Guide to learn more about our community:
There is an abundance of resources available to entrepreneurs and business owners and to help sort through all of this information we have compiled the local and government resources that we feel could help you on your journey. This includes general business information as well as specific resources for business plans, registration, taxation, licencing, expansion and more.
Business Licence Application for Oliver and Inter-Community Licencing
Is your Business in the correct zone? Visit the Planning page.
Local resources for businesses
- South Okanagan Chamber of Commerce is our regional Chamber that represents Oliver, Osoyoos and Okanagan Falls.
- Oliver Tourism Association is our local organization that promotes our Town to attract visitors to enjoy our beautiful area.
- Commercial Businesses for Sale in Oliver
- Interior Health – Local Health and Food Permits
Government of BC has many useful resources for businesses and it would be beneficial to get connected with them for important updates and opportunities.
Employment Standards – The law in B.C. sets standards for payment, compensation and working conditions in most workplaces. The standards promote open communication, fair treatment and work-life balance for employees.
Small Business BC is fantastic resource for business owners and entrepreneurs. They are supported by the Government of BC and Western Diversification to provide free and affordable resources to BC businesses in all stages.
Futurpreneur Canada – is a national, non-profit organization that provides financing, mentoring and support tools to aspiring business owners aged 18-39.
Women’s Enterprise – is a non-profit organization devoted to helping BC women start, lead and grow their own business. They provide business loans, business skills training, personalized business advice, mentoring, practical business resources and a supportive community to help women business owners gain the skills, mindset, financing and networks they need to realize their business potential.
BDC – The Business Development Bank of Canada is a federal Crown corporation wholly owned by the Government of Canada. Its mandate is to help create and develop Canadian small and medium businesses through financing, capital, and advisory services.
Community Futures BC has an Entrepreneurs with Disabilities Program
Community Futures Development Corporation of Central Interior First Nations –Dedicated to the unique economic development needs of Indigenous Communities. Providing training, loans and support for Indigenous entrepreneurs in the communities of Thompson, Shuswap, Nicola, Fraser Canyon, Lillooet and Okanagan areas.
Community Futures Okanagan Similkameen is located in Penticton and is a great local resource in your business journey. They have a loans department, provide business advisory services, and have ongoing business training sessions.
Innovate BC is a one stop service centre to connect innovators — large and small — with B.C. government funding, tools, resources and support. Funding is geared towards technology, innovation, and digital skills for youth.
Accelerate Okanagan is our local support organization for Technology related businesses.
The Government of BC has created a very useful guide for Starting a Business which includes a 14-step checklist with links to the appropriate resources.
Biz Pal is an online service that provides a list of potential permits and licences to start, expand, or develop your business. The service is a combined effort by the federal, provincial/territorial, and participating municipal governments.
OneStop Business Registry is a great place to complete most of your business registration processes online.
WorkSafe BC – Businesses of all sizes must maintain health and safety standards at the workplace and maintain coverage for workers. Self Employed individuals may not require coverage but may be eligible for optional coverage.
Creating a business plan is an important part to setting up your business for success.
- BDC – Business Plan Template available for download.
- Community Futures Okanagan Similkameen can help you with your Business Plan either through advisory services or you can sign up for one of their Business Plan Courses.
- Futurpreneur Canada has a DIY Business Plan Writer to help get you started.
- Small Business BC – How to Guide for Business Plan Writing.
- Women’s Enterprise – How to write a Business Plan.
- All Nations Trust Company – provides financing for Indigenous Communities
- Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Community Futures Development Corporation of Central Interior First Nations (CFDC of CINC) – specializing in Indigenous Communities and Businesses
- Community Futures Okanagan Similkameen
- Futurpreneur – ages 18 – 39
- Innovate BC is a one stop service centre to connect innovators — large and small — with B.C. government funding, tools, resources and support. Funding is geared towards technology, innovation, and digital skills for youth.
- SIDIT – Southern Interior Development Initiative Trust
- Women’s Enterprise
The common belief is that there are a lot of grants available for businesses and while sometimes there is – it is definitely not as often as everyone hopes. Get connected to your specific industry and local business organizations to be able to see when grants, subsidies or initiatives are announced. The sites listed below may have opportunities available for your business so take a look and see what is available and if you are eligible.
- Town of Oliver Grants or Incentives Revitalization Tax Exemption Bylaw 1328
- Fortis BC
- Government of Canada
- Innovate BC is a one stop service centre to connect innovators — large and small — with B.C. government funding, tools, resources and support. Funding for technology, innovation, digital skills for youth.
- SIDIT – Southern Interior Development Initiative Trust
- WorkBC wage subsidy programs and opportunities. Contact our Local Office in Oliver.