The Oliver and District Landfill is operated by the Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen. The hours of operation and other information including tipping fees and regulations are available on the regional district website.
The landfill is located off Black Sage Road, approximately 7 km south of the Hospital. Sibco Landfill Rd, Oliver, BC V0H 1T0. 250-498-3316
- Residential garbage collection service is provided inside the Town of Oliver by contract with Waste Connections of Canada Inc. For a complete description of this program please visit the garbage collection page on this web site.
- Garbage collection is on Monday or Friday inside the Town of Oliver. Refer to the 2023/2024 Garbage Collection Calendar and Map to determine your pick-up date. Garbage must be at the curb by 7:00 am on collection day.
- Contact Waste Connections of Canada Inc. at 250-498-4888 with questions about garbage collection.
- The Town provides free collection of compostable yard waste every other week from March to November as indicated on your calendar. Materials collected include leaves, grass clippings, prunings and branches.
- Refer to the 2023-2024 Garbage Calendar for collection dates.
- The Town provides curbside collection of recyclable materials for all residents every second week, on garbage collection days. For a complete description of this program including a description of eligible materials and collection dates, please visit the recycling page on this web site.
- Farm irrigation is only permitted during the season designated by council from year to year. This season usually starts in late April and ends in early October. Check this web site for exact times.
- Residential irrigation in the rural area is permitted outside the designated season, provided that no more than one 2.5 gallon per minute sprinkler is used at a time.
- Irrigation inside the Town is not restricted to 2.5 gallons per minute; however wasting water by over-irrigating is not permitted.
- The Oliver Cemetery is mowed every Thursday during the growing season.
- Artificial flower arrangements are removed from gravesites prior to mowing and placed on a shelf at the cemetery. Due to the high costs involved, they cannot be indexed and replaced by Town crews.
- Cut flowers in a limp or dry condition are disposed of.
The Town office is open: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday
The office is closed:
- New years day
- Family Day
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- Victoria Day
- Canada Day
- BC Day
- Labour Day
- Truth and Reconciliation Day
- Remembrance Day
- After 12:30 on Christmas Eve, and for the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- Regular council meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month, with one meeting canceled in each of August and December.
- Visit our council meeting page to find out more and to download upcoming agendas.
- Regular meetings start at 7:00 pm and are open to the public.
- Committee meetings are held most council meeting days at 4:00 pm and are also open to the public.
- Council’s meeting chambers are located at 6173 Kootenay Street.
- Municipal Taxes are due not later than the first business day following July 1.
- Any unpaid balances (including unclaimed Home Owner Grants) after due date will have a ten percent (10%) penalty applied.
- Visit the provincial government website to learn more about the province’s home owner grant program.
- Residents in municipalities no longer apply for the home owner grant through their municipal office. Everyone now applies directly to the province using a new online system that’s easy to use and will process applications faster.
- The grant must be applied for each year, prior to the tax due date to avoid late payment penalties.
- The grant amounts are shown on your tax notice. They are set by the Province. The maximum grants available currently are:
- $770 for the regular grant
- $1,045 grant for persons 65 years of age or older or persons with qualifying disabilities.
- Click here to claim your home owner grant online with the province.
Utility bills can be paid at the Town Office as follows:
- debit card
- post dated cheque(s)
- by mail to PO Box 638, Oliver BC, V0H 1T0 (cheques only)
- We do not consider post marks or teller stamps as date of payment
- Online Credit Card Payment - visit www.oliver.ca > Online Services or Make a Payment. ** Please note there is a 2.5% Convenience Fee that will be applied.
- The Corporate Officer and Deputy Corporate Officer positions are designated as commissioners for taking affidavits in British Columbia
- Affidavits will only be accepted for local government purposes
- Other documents must be taken to the Government Agent or a lawyer or notary public.
- Burning of garbage or operation of burning barrels is not permitted at any time within the Town of Oliver.
- On properties larger than 1/2 acre, permits may be requested to burn agricultural waste (prunings and plant materials generated by farm operations) by contacting Fire Chief Bob Graham at 250-498-9992.
Open Burning in the Rural Fire Protection District is NOT permitted between April 15 to October 15.
After October 15 you MUST contact the Oliver Fire Chief at 250-498-9992.
Other, Non-Municipal Questions
Some frequently requested information is provided here for public convenience. For further information, consult the blue pages in your telephone directory, or for provincial offices, contact the government agent at (250) 498-3898.
The Oliver Tourism Association is a great place to start. The Oliver Tourism association operates the Oliver Tourist Information centre located in the old CPR Station at 6272 Station Street. Additional information is also available on the OTA website.
The Member of the Legislative Assembly (BC Government) is:
- Roly Russell
- Phone 250-498-5122
The Member of Parliament (Canada) is:
- Richard Cannings
- Phone 1-250-770-4480
The Area “C” Director (RDOS) is:
- Rick Knodel
- Phone 250-498-7293
You may phone the RDOS office in Penticton at 250-492-0237 for details on rural area building inspection.
This provincial office is located in the South Wing of the South Okanagan General Hospital.
Call the office directly at 250-498-4966 for hours and other information.
The Okanagan Flood Control Right of Way is owned by the Ministry of Environment.
To report concerns about the river, flooding, tree falls, illegal camping, etc., please call 250-490-8200.
The food bank is located at 6047 Station St, Oliver, BC V0H 1T0
It is operated on a volunteer basis and is currently open only on Wednesdays.