Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection
The Town of Oliver provides the collection of garbage, recycling and yard waste to all residential properties that are eligible for curbside collection.
- Pick up days are on Monday if your property is located north of Fairview Road and Park Drive and Friday if your property is located south of Fairview Road and Park Drive (see map included with calendar below).
- 2021/2022 Garbage Calendar
Collection is provided by Waste Connections of Canada Inc., under contract to the Town. For more information on collection in your neighborhood or for further information, complaints, suggestions, etc. please call the Town office at 250-485-6253.
The Bear Aware program has changed names. It is now called WildsafeBC.
Automated waste collection is becoming the standard for curbside garbage pick up and it is an efficient and safe program. Carts have proven to be a clean and convenient way to roll your waste to the curb.
Be Cart Smart
Place your carts to the curb properly for collection by 7:00am. Carts improperly placed may not be emptied.
On the street, with the wheels against the curb, or on the shoulder (if no curb)
Point the arrows on the cart lid towards the road
Leave at least an arm's length distance on all sides.
If you have mechanical problems, your garbage was not collected or your carts have been stolen, please contact the Town office at 250-485-6253.
Cart configuration not meeting your needs? Cart sizes can be changed and are subject to additional fees (see cart change-out form below for fees) along with a $32 administrative.
For more information on recycling, including information on where you may take materials not listed below, please call the BC Recycle hotline at 1-800-667-4321 or visit the Recycling Council of BC website.
Accepted Paper Products
- Coffee cups and lids
- Paper food bags, pet food, sugar and flour bags
- Paper egg trays
- Soup & sauce cartons
- Newspaper & flyers
- Magazines & phonebooks
- Envelopes & loose leaf paper
- Cardboard & boxboard
- Cardboard tubes
- Paper drink holders
- Greeting cards no batteries
Accepted Plastic Products
- Plastic jugs, bottles and caps
- Clamshell packaging
- Plastic berry & salad containers
- Plastic jars & lids
- Food tubs & containers
- Plastic garden pots & trays
- Plastic spray bottles
- Plastic cleaning & hygiene bottles
Accepted Metal Containers
- Aluminum foils & trays
- Soup cans
- Tin cans & lids
- Aluminum cans & lids
- Empty aerosol cans for cooking & cosmetics
What Stays Out Of Recycling
- Soft and stretchy plastic bags and overwrap, foam containers and packaging (eg. Styrofoam), Glass Jars and Bottles. Bring to T2 Market at 5980 Sawmill Road or Oliver Landfill Recycle Station.
- Crinkly, non-stretchy cellophane wrappers and bags, e.g. for cereal, salad, tea, candy, chips, floral arrangements, etc. Place into the garbage.
- Mirror/window glass, drinking glasses, ceramics, non-packaging plastics, hardcover books, clothing and other textiles. Please donate if reusable or place into the garbage.
- Batteries, electronics, light bulbs, and paint cans (including aerosol paints). Bring to T2 Market at 5980 Sawmill Road or Oliver Landfill Recycle Station.
- Household hazardous waste (pesticides and flammable materials). Bring to Oliver Landfill Recycle Station.
- None of the above is accepted in recycling.
What Goes in Your Yard Waste Cart?
- Grass clippings
- Plant trimmings
- Pruning and branches up to 5 cm (2″) in diameter and less than 1 m (3ft) long.
- Pine needles and cones
- Fruit dropping
- Plastic or compostable bags
- Animal feces or kitty litter
- Dirt, sod, rocks and tree stumps
- Kitchen or food waste
- Tissue or paper towels
- Construction or renovation materials
- Plastic plant or flower pots (recyclable)
- Landscape fabric or plastic edging
The Large or Bulky item pickup, held on a specific day each fall, allows each home to place out two items per year for residential pickup. Acceptable items such as furniture, mattresses and appliances are listed below. For the annual pickup date for your area please consult your curbside calendar (see top of page).
- Maximum of 2 items of furniture, mattresses or appliances will be accepted
- One scheduled curbside collection per year. Check your Curbside Calendar above for date in your community.
- Place out at regular garbage collection area by 7am on Monday morning on scheduled week in a safe area at the curb
- Items will be picked up on the regular day of garbage collection
- Mattress and boxspring count as two separate items
- NO TVs or Computer Monitors. See note below.
- NO renovation waste, no toilets, no hot water tanks, no carpet, no heat pumps, no furnaces, no plumbing and no doors. See note below.
Some examples of large or bulky items:
- Dish washers, microwaves, stoves, washing machines, and dryers (please remove door and shelves and place them beside the unit for safer pickup)
- Couches, desks, and chairs
- Mattresses and boxsprings (remember placing out a mattress and a box spring would count as 2 items!)
- Refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners (please note the Town of Oliver program does not accept items containing Freon such as these)
- Please take computers, monitors and TVs directly to free recycling depots. Click here for information and depot locations. The Campbell Mountain, Oliver and Keremeos Landfills will also take all residential electronic waste free of charge. These items will not be collected.
The Town of Oliver will NOT pick up any home renovation/demolition waste or automotive parts including toilets, hot water tanks, doors and other bathroom fixtures.
Participation in the municipal garbage collection service is mandatory for the following types of properties. Billing will be added automatically to Utility Bills.
- Properties containing one single family dwelling
- Properties containing one duplex dwelling
- Properties containing residential complexes of not more than four dwelling units in total
Several classes of residences may also participate in the municipal waste collection service on an optional basis. Alternately, they may haul their own garbage or contract with a licensed private contractor. These include:
- Mobile home parks
- Townhouse developments with direct entry from outside to individual townhouses
- Bareland strata subdivision developments
To participate, entire properties must be included. No partial service will be provided. Final decision on eligibility will be determined by municipal staff with consideration given to traffic efficiency and safety as well as whether or not collection service is available on the adjacent street.
Those properties qualifying for this optional service are billed a quarterly flat fee on their utility bill. Optional service properties may contact the Town office to discuss being added or deleted from this service.
The following properties are not billed for this service and are free to contract with any licensed contractor or haul their own waste to the landfill:
- Vacant properties
- Industrial operations
- Commercial and institutional operations
- Apartment buildings
The type of service on these sites is diverse, possibly including bulk bin collection either once per week or more often, or hand dump containers at a central location. Because of this diversity, these properties were excluded from the municipal service in favour of custom service arranged directly with a contractor.
The municipal waste collection service provides once-a-week, curbside collection of mixed refuse. Containers must be placed out for collection by 7:00 am on scheduled collection days either Monday or Friday.
Additional garbage bags can be placed out for collection provided they are tagged with special garbage tags. These tags may be purchased for $1.50 each at Oliver Buy-Low Foods and the Town Office.